It sounds a bit weird but if you like those little tins of Portuguese smoked sardines in olive oil, this pizza is calling your name.
I have liked sardines since I was a kid, I’d just eat them from the can. Now my 5 year old has become a sardine craving madman. Today, out of absolutely nowhere, he
asked begged for sardines. This was one of those mom to the rescue moments (we all love those right?) as I just happened to have a tin hiding in the cupboards. The look on his face was priceless when I grabbed them off the shelf to show him – looked like he just been granted a wish from a genie.
I bought Naan bread this week to make pizzas and had been planning to make them for dinner with the usual sauce, cheese, pepperoni + black olives.
When we lived in Bavaria, when regularly ordered takeout from a truly authentic Italian Pizza joint down the road. Authentic as in they spoke Italian only- no English, and enough German to get by and the rest was basically charades and pointing to communicate. This forced us to quickly learn the important German phrases. I once had a mad craving for soup while pregnant and we drive to every deli + restaurant in our little town looking for soup, all we could get was Pancake Soup– literally. Germany was fun.
Back to the pizza place, the menu was not like any pizza you eat in America, different but amazing. It was here that I tried anchovies, egg, meats I’ve never heard of, artichokes, and sardines on pizza (not all on the same pizza folks, that would be gross).
These German-Italian pizzas were my inspiration for dinner tonight. If I’d had more fresh veggies in my fridge, I’d probably also have added sliced mushrooms and green peppers to create that supreme pizza flavor we love. The naan bread is actually similar to their crust too, thin but chewy inside with a lightly crispy outer crust.
Sardine Supreme Naan Pizza
- 1 Naan (I used Stonefire Naan brand)
- Butter + Silicone Brush (olive oil is ok)
- 1/3-1/2 tin Sardines in Olive Oil, remove spines
- Black Olives, sliced or chopped
- 1/4 cup Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- Pepperoni (I used Hormel Minis but any will do)
- Optional (Mushrooms, Green Peppers, Parmesan, fresh Basil Ribbons)
- Heat pan to medium-high and brush a very light coating of butter or olive oil on one side of the naan bread – place that side on the hot pan.
- Brush the other side while the bread is lightly toasting, turn and toast to a light golden brown.
- Remove naan bread from heat and set aside to add toppings, heat oven to Broil – rack should be 10-12″ away from fire.
- Spread pizza sauce over naan, leaving 1/2-1″ of crust on the edge.
- Add sardines, black olives, pepperoni + any other optional toppings onto the sauce.
- Top with cheeses, mixed together (you can do the cheese first then toppings if you prefer.
- Place pizza on baking sheet or back in pan (if oven safe), broil for 1-3 min – depending on oven. Watch carefully and remove when crust and cheese is golden brown.
- Remove, place on cutting board and slice. Serve with fresh basil, parmesan (these are optional)
Enjoy the chewy, crispy, cheesy goodness!
Referral/Affiliate Link Policy can be found here.