If you are lactose-intolerant or just avoiding dairy in your diet, it can be a bummer to miss out on some of the best food & drinks that are made with milk and contain lactose. For me, Thai Iced Tea is a favorite indulgence.
I used to buy bags of loose Thai tea and brew it in a complicated way but I found these awesome Thai Tea Bags and now it’s easy and fast to get my fix…which also means I have to healthify it up a bit now that I’m drinking it more often.
I picked up some plain, unsweetened coconut milk for super cheap thanks to my Safeway app and a printed coupon. The tea + raw sugar from Amazon, the agave from Home Goods.
This recipe is definitely not the same level of sweet and creamy that you’ll get at a Thai place but you may be willing to compromise on these ultra-sweet and creamy for the much healthier substitutions.
- 1 Thai tea bag (or 2 if you like)
- 3 pure cane sugar cubes or 2-3 tsp agave
- 4-6 oz boiling water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- Add sugar and tea to boiling water in a heat-safe mug or measuring cup- brew 2-3 min.
- Fill large glass 1/2 way up with ice, add coconut milk.
- Squeeze tea bags, discard and make sure sweetener has dissolved.
- Pour tea into iced coconut milk – admire the beauty – stir + enjoy!
You can view my referral/affiliate link policy here.